Please note that this section is about obtaining emergency advance parole from a local USCIS Field Office. The regular advance parole guidance is here and here.

DACA-mented individuals, TPS holders, individuals with pending applications for adjustment of status or asylum cases may seek permission to travel abroad in truly emergent situations such as serious illness to an immediate family member or to attend the funeral of a family member.  In such cases, you will want to apply for “emergency” advance parole with your local United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Possessing an approved advance parole document will allow you to leave the United States without abandoning your application and re-enter without difficulty. Failure to obtain advance parole prior to leaving the United States will result in the abandonment and subsequent denial of your pending application, unless you hold a valid H-1B or L-1 visa.

  1. You’ve to call USCIS at 1 (800) 375-5283 to request an Infopass appointment. It is not possible to make an appointment for this online so you need to call the number.
  2. The USCIS Tier 1 agent will ask you to explain the emergency and confirm you have the requisite documents prior to queuing you for a call from the local office. If you do not have the documents they require, you will be asked to obtain them and call back for an appointment.
  3. If you do have an emergent case and all requisite documentation, within 72 hours of calling the Tier 1 officer, a USCIS officer will call you to offer you an appointment at the local office. This is also called an Infopass appointment. If you miss this call, you will need to repeat this process so it is important to not miss it.
  4. You have to take your application to the local office along with the requisite supporting documentation:
    1. Appointment confirmation email
    2. Completed I-131 form, signed and dated in Part 5, located on the last page;
    3. Two 2×2 passport size photos
    4. Check or money order of $575 to pay for the application if you have not already paid for this
    5. Your passport (both the original and a copy)
    6. Birth Certificate (original and copy along with a translation if necessary)
    7. All receipt notices you have received in connection with your pending application and any associated work and travel authorization application.
    8. Documentation relating to why is it necessary for you to travel outside of the U.S.
    9. Evidence of a travel itinerary (i.e., plane ticket) scheduled to commence within the next 48 hours.
  5. The local office will process your application and issue you the advance parole document for the same day, valid for either 30 or 60 days. You must complete your travel within this requisite time period or you will not be re-admitted to the United States.

For more and latest information, please see USCIS website:

The information herein is subject to change and does not create an attorney-client relationship. For help with your case, including consultations and/or to hire us for this or any other process, you can contact us here: or email us directly at

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.