Emergency advance parole is a travel document issued by USCIS that allows certain non-citizens lawfully present in the US to travel abroad and return in urgent situations. It is typically much faster to obtain than regular advance parole, which can take months to process, but it is only available for urgent, unplanned and exigent circumstances.

Here’s a summary of emergency advance parole:

  • Purpose: Allows urgent travel outside the US and return without jeopardizing your immigration status.
  • Processing Time: Faster than regular advance parole, emergency advance parole is issued day of field office appointment
  • Eligibility: Must be lawfully present in the US and have a pressing need to travel abroad in less than 15 days.

Here’s how to apply for emergency advance parole:

  • File in Person: Emergency advance parole applications (Form I-131) are filed in person at your local USCIS field office, not by mail.
  • How to Start: Call USCIS 800-375-5283 to schedule an infopass appointment to apply for emergency advance parole or use your online account to make this request.
  • Prepare Documentation: After getting the appointment, gather documentation to prove your lawful status in the US and the urgent reason for travel to take with you to the field office appointment.

Documentation Generally Required

  • USCIS Appointment Notice
  • Two passport size photographs
  • Check or money order of $630 for filing fees
  • Completed Form I-131, Application for Travel Document
  • Unexpired Passport
  • Proof of lawful status in the United States, typically a receipt notice of a pending application and an EAD
  • Proof of reason to travel urgently for a critical professional, academic, or personal commitment. i.e. death certificate, doctor’s letter, medical records, employment letter
  • Flight tickets (Optional: Generally, you’re not required to present this on the day of the appointment, but it does not hurt to show the urgency of the situation).

Important Resources:

Recommendation: This page does not constitute legal advice. It’s always best to consult with an immigration attorney to determine your eligibility and the best course of action for your specific situation.