[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Once you receive your Employment Authorization Card (I-766), you should also receive your Social Security Number (SSN) in a few weeks if you indicated on the application that you wanted to receive it automatically. If you failed to do so, here is what you need to do.

NOTE: You need to obtain a SSN before you can apply for a State ID Card or a Driver’s License. The Social Security Administration has published a helpful brochure for DACA recipients, which you can download.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_row][/vc_row][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][vc_column_text]

I am text block. Click edit button to change this text.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][vc_column_text][/vc_column_text][vc_accordion][vc_accordion_tab title=”How do I apply for an SSN?”][vc_column_text title=”Eligibility”]Gather the necessary documents to bring to the Social Security Office. This includes:

  • Your USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Card (I-766) or Original I-94 if no EAD;
  • At least one of the following documents proving your age and identity:
    • Birth Certificate;
    • Unexpired Passport;
    • U.S. military record;
    • Religious record showing age or date of birth;
    • School record showing age or date of birth;
    • School identification card; or
    • Copy of a medical record.
  • NOTE: Bring an original birth certificate and unexpired passport if at all possible, and bring any additional documents from the above list if you have them.
  • Print out and complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Take the application and the required documents to a Social Security office where you will sign the application. You can find your local office at www.socialsecurity.gov/locator, or by checking the list below.

[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”What happens after I apply?”][vc_column_text]You should receive a Social Security Card in the mail within 2-4 weeks.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”What if I have an ITIN?”][vc_column_text]Individuals cannot have both an ITIN and SSN at the same time, thus upon getting your social security number, you must contact the IRS and ask it to rescind your existing ITIN. You need to send a letter to the IRS’s ITIN operation with a request to rescind your ITIN number. Be sure to include copies of your ITIN and SSN.

The address for the IRS’s ITIN Operation is:

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][vc_accordion_tab title=”Do I lose my SSN if I lose my immigration status?”][vc_column_text]No, your SSN is assigned to you for life, and you can continue to use the number for purposes other than work authorization.[/vc_column_text][/vc_accordion_tab][/vc_accordion][vc_column width=”1/3″][vc_single_image image=”2393″][vc_button title=”Contact Us For Information” position=”tac” href=”https://lallegal.com/contact-us/”][/vc_column][vc_row][/vc_row][vc_row][/vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][vc_column_text][/vc_column_text]