Non-immigrant visas are a category of visas issued by a country’s government to individuals who wish to enter that country temporarily for a specific purpose, such as tourism, business, education, medical treatment, or temporary work. With some exceptions, these visas are usually intended for individuals who do not intend to live permanently in the host country and plan to return to their home country once their authorized stay expires. Non-immigrant visas are typically issued for a specific period of time and for a particular purpose, and they come with various conditions and restrictions.


The specific types of non-immigrant visas available and their names may vary from one country to another. Please click on the visa that interests you to review a full description of the requirements and procedure.

A-1/A-2 Visa: Available to certain foreign government officials, employees, and their immediate family members who are traveling to the U.S. on official government business or diplomatic assignments

Business (B-1) Visa: Granted to individuals traveling to the U.S. for business purposes, such as meetings, conferences, negotiations, or training

Tourist (B-2) Visa: Issued to individuals visiting the U.S. for tourism, vacation, or medical treatment

C-visa: Non-immigrant visa classification that is issued to individuals o crewmembers who are in transit through the U.S. to a final destination in another country

D-1/D-2 Visas: Given to crewmembers departing on same or different vessel of arriva

E-1/E-2/E-3 visa: Treaty trader and investor visas

F-1 visa: International academic student visas

G-1 to G-5 visa: Individuals who are representatives of international organizations, such as the United Nations (UN), the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and other similar entities

Specialty Occupation (H) Visa: For individuals who come to the United States to work temporarily with specialized skills and knowledge 

I Visa: Representative of Foreign Information Media

J visa: For exchange visitors participating in various cultural exchange and educational programs

K-Visa: For the fiancé/spouse of U.S. citizens to enter the United States for the purpose of marriage

L-1A/L-1B visa: Intracompany transferee (executive, managerial, and specialized personnel continuing employment with international firm or corporation)

M visa: Vocational Student or Other Nonacademic Student

N-8 visa/N-9 visa: For the parents and children of special immigrant employees.

NATO visa: For NATO representatives, staff, officials, experts and their family members.

O-1/O-2 visa: Persons with extraordinary ability in the sciences, art, education,
business, or athletics

P-1/P2 visa: Visas for athlete and entertainers

Q visa: Participant in an International Cultural Exchange Program


R-visa: Person in a religious occupation

S-visa: Informants processing critical reliable information concerning criminal organization or enterprise

T-visa: For survivors of a severe form of labor or sex trafficking who are physically present in the United States

TN visa: NAFTA professional visas for Canadians and Mexicans

U-visa: Survivors of criminal activity in the United States who are helpful to law enforcement

V-visa: Certain spouses and children of lawful permanent residents who are beneficiaries of visa petitions filed prior to December 21, 2000.




It is important to note that the requirements, application processes, and eligibility criteria for non-immigrant visas can vary significantly between countries, so individuals seeking such visas should consult the specific guidelines and regulations of the country they wish to visit or work in. Additionally, holders of non-immigrant visas are generally expected to depart the host country when their authorized stay expires. If they wish to extend their stay or change their visa status, they typically need to apply for an extension or a different type of visa.