Report: Mass Deportation Would Cost Billions

Fully enforcing immigration laws by removing all undocumented immigrants and preventing future unauthorized immigration would cost the United States government hundreds of billions of dollars and shrink the labor force, and therefore the economy, according to a new report published by the American Action Forum.

Operating on the assumption that 20 percent of undocumented immigrants would leave voluntarily, the report said deporting the remaining 80 percent—8.96 million people—would cost between $103.9 billion and $303.7 billion.

That figure includes, over the next 20 years, $243.3 billion for apprehension, $35.7 billion for detention, $13.4 billion for processing and $11.3 billion for transportation home. On top of that amount, the government would have to spend $315.7 billion on keeping new immigrants from entering the U.S. without proper documentation.

Although more difficult to calculate, the report said mass deportation also would negatively impact the federal deficit. Undocumented immigrants, about half of whom are taxpayers, are contributors to social services but are low users of those services.

If you find this information helpful, share this post, and let others know about lallegal.com, as well as our Twitter, and Facebook pages. 

What do you think?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Related Articles

House GOP Suffers Setback as Impeachment of Mayorkas Fails

In a dramatic turn of events, the House of Representatives on Tuesday failed to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas, falling short by a single vote in a major blow to House Republicans. The articles of impeachment, centered on accusations of mismanagement of the US-Mexico border, were ultimately defeated 214-216, with four Republicans joining all Democrats in opposition.

Read

USCIS Fee Increases Take Effect April 1, 2024

Get ready for a change in the immigration landscape! On April 1, 2024, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will implement significant fee increases for a variety of immigration and naturalization benefits. This change, announced in January 2024, aims to help USCIS recover its operating costs more fully and support timely processing of new applications.

Read

Broken Promises at the Border: How Biden Is Abandoning Migrants

When President Biden ran for office, he promised a break from the cruel and restrictive immigration policies of his predecessor, Donald Trump. Yet, three years into his term and with re-election looming, a stark reality has set in: the dream of a humane and just immigration system seems to be fading faster than a desert mirage. Recent developments paint a disturbing picture of an administration seemingly backpedaling on its once-bold commitments, leaving countless migrants stranded in a morass of broken promises and unfulfilled hopes. Humanitarian changes to our immigration system continue to languish, with no hope of passage.

Read